When I first started traveling in Mexico, from time to time I would come across old women in small towns and villages who "read the cards." Tarot cards. Many times I never understood a word they were saying for various reasons....my poor Spanish, their poor Spanish, my hearing loss, chickens and/or ducks pecking at my feet. The readings lasted from 10-30 minutes. I would always come away feeling fascinated and could maybe recall one or two comments made by the reader. I liked the process of selecting cards, the layout, the hidden away house, the sense of being an insider in the culture. Trust me, once I left the reading, I never thought much about it again, but I was always open to having readings when the opportunity arose.About this time last year, a friend told me of a woman here is Merida who does tarot card readings. She is French. In addition to French, she speaks Spanish and English equally well. Of course I had to make an appointment. We began that session in Spanish, but when we realized I I really was not understanding the instructions, we switched to English. The session was short and actually helpful.
I decided yesterday that I needed to have a reading to celebrate the end of 2010 and the beginning of 2011. Monique's readings are divided into 3 parts....the big picture known as the "tree of life" that consists of 20 cards. The second part is 10 cards and pertains to one certain subject fo the seeker's choice, the third is 4 cards in answer to a question. As the final part of the reading, Monique told me to shuffle the cards and then pick one. This one card would represent my life in 2011. The card I selected was The Chariot.
According to Wikipedia, yes, Wikipedia:
The chariot is one of the most complex cards to define. On its most basic level, it implies war, a struggle, and an eventual, hard-won victory; either over enemies, obstacles, nature, the beasts inside you, or to just get what you want. But there is a great deal more to it. The charioteer wears emblems of the sun, yet the sign behind this card is Cancer, the moon. The chariot is all about motion, and yet it is often shown as stationary.
What does this all mean? It means a union of opposites, like the black and white steeds. They pull in different directions, but must be (and can be!) made to go together in one direction. Control is required over opposing emotions, wants, needs, people, or circumstances; to bring them together and give them a single direction, your direction. Confidence is also needed and, most especially, motivation. The card can, in fact, indicate new motivation or inspiration, which gets a stagnant situation moving again. It can also imply, on a more pragmatic level, a trip (usually by car), a vehicle - in the shop for repairs if the card comes up reversed - or a message.
On the one hand, the Chariot indicates loyalty and faith and motivation; a conviction that will lead to victory no matter the odds. But the chariot can also signal a ruthless, diehard desire to win at any cost. The Querent should be reminded to save his energy for what comes after. Victory is just the start of things.
Hmmmmmm.........

1 comment:
hmmmmm...
Post a Comment